Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Pass the Torch Tuesday

Today is Pass the Torch Tuesday. I have been so excited for this one. Today I am honoring my oldest son, Sam.

Bryon and I are firm believers in not letting our children get up and bare their testimonies until they can do it on their own. Sam turned eight last April. Bryon and I really started encouraging him to bare his testimony in Sacrament Meeting on Fast Sunday around his eighth birthday. We had not been able to convince him. I was beginning to wonder if Bryon and I had done the right thing. Now he is old enough to do it and won't because it is something he hasn't practiced. We have held countless family home evenings on baring your testimony and I have even had his primary teacher encourage him but to no avail. Sunday when we got to church, Sam went in the bench first. After the Sacrament, he started inching his way to the other end of the bench. I could see the determination on his face to get up and bare his testimony but as soon as he had the courage, someone else would get up. He finally made his way up to the front and bore his testimony.

His testimony was so simple but yet so beautiful. He said, "I want to bear my testimony. I know the church is true. I know Joseph Smith was a true prophet. I know Joseph Smith. . ." Then he paused. He paused for what seemed like forever. I wish I could describe the expressions on his face. It was so funny. The guy sitting behind me leaned over and whispered, "He is waiting for revelation." I don't think Sam was waiting on revelation as much as he was trying to come up with the word translated. He never could find the word he was looking for so he finally said, "I know Joseph Smith wrote the Book of Mormon. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."

When Sam got back to our bench he could not hold still. He was alsmot "giddy". I kept telling him to sit still. He kept telling me he couldn't. I know that he was feeling the Spirit that we each feel when we have done something good.
As a mom I find it a huge reward when your children are able to feel the Holy Ghost and recognize it as such. I know Sam recognized it as the Holy Ghost because he wrote about it later in his journal.
So today Sam, I want you to know how proud I am of you. I know how hard it was for you to get up and bear your testimony. I am so proud of you!

No comments: