Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Snow Day!

Today there was no school on account of the district’s first “snow day” of the school year. I am still a little bit confused about why there was no school. Granted the wind was blowing and we do have quite a bit of snow on the ground. Last week it did a lot of freezing rain and so the snow we do have is crunchy and isn’t going anywhere. They did close the road from Driggs to Newdale. Like Bryon said Newdale makes up a third of their school district. I am not complaining. I love snow days. We were already up and going when they decided to cancel school. It was nice having Bryon home to drive Natalie and Logan to speech while I was still running around in my pajamas. Natalie wanted her nails painted and her hair curled and so we took the time to do that before she went to speech. Once Bryon was done running Natalie and Logan to and from speech. We worked on painting Natalie’s bedroom. I tell you her room is a work in progress. Bryon hung beadboard late this fall. I had painted it all white but got this brilliant idea to paint the little quarter of an inch (if that) between the boards purple. I think it is going to be cute but my perfectionism is going to kill me on this project. I get the purple painted and then go to touch up the white and get white on the purple so I then go fix the purple only to get purple back on the white. It is a vicious cycle. Not to mention I think there is a shortage of painter’s tape in Rexburg now because of all the tape I had to use to do that project! So today I worked on the beadboard while Bryon worked on the normal painting. Above the beadboard we are painting the wall up to the ceiling a shade of purple. I had painted some of it previously. Today Bryon took some wallpaper stripper and washed the top of walls down. Then he painted a primer coat and a first coat of purple. I would like to get the painting done before my parents come this weekend but it isn’t looking good! Natalie hung out with us in the bedroom while we painted. The boys had a blast this morning playing with Geotax. For those of you out there without little boys, Geotrax is a brand of play train. My boys love them. Conner had a set, Logan got a different set for Christmas and then Conner spent his Christmas money buying more track for the set. While all of them are completely different sets, the tracks can still hook together. So they had a seriously big train going down there this morning.

Bryon took yesterday off. He had to work in the parking lot of the Rexburg Temple Open House yesterday. He then took the remainder of the day off. We are still trying to get social security numbers for Logan and Natalie. He went down once over the Christmas vacation. He didn’t have the papers they needed. So he was going to go on New Year’s Eve day and we totally forgot about going. So yesterday he took the day off so he could go back to the social security office. He couldn’t find their birth certificates and so called the 800-number to see if what he was able to find would work. He drove all the way down there, waited for a half hour for his number to be called only to find out he was mislead on the phone and DIDN’T have what he needed. When he got home, we tore the house apart looking for Natalie and Logan’s birth certificates. We finally found them. So today he left early for his part time job. He was going to go to the social security office one more time. He told me if the people at the social security office had the nerve to tell him he still didn’t have what they needed, I would probably have to come down to bail him out of jail! If he still had time before he had to be to work, he was going to take a box of clothes of Natalie’s that I have sorted through and try to sell them to Once Upon a Child. I have never sold anything there before so I am not sure if it is worth my time to make sure the clothes don’t have stains on them and that they are freshly washed. I guess I will know better tonight when he gets home.

As for me I have three piano lessons this afternoon and all the jobs I neglected this morning while painting are calling to me (the kitchen and bathrooms). Not to mention cooking dinner, and working on homework with Sam. Although he didn’t have school today, he still needs to read for 30 minutes as well as do a spelling test.

The boys are currently watching a movie but informed me that they still have big plans to play with their trains this afternoon.

So although the sun out my window is shining bright and the winds have died down, I am glad for the chance we had today to have a snow day. A day to relax. A day that I was able to get a little bit of extra help from Bryon in Natalie’s bedroom. A day that we were able to just break out of our routine and play, even if just for a day.

No comments: