Thursday, January 24, 2008

Happy Birthday Conner


This is a blog I have been thinking about and planning for the past several days. It's official! Conner turned five years old today. Birthdays bring on mixed emotions for me. I celebrate the day my childen were born and I revel in the memories of all their years to this point. Yet my heart aches for their amazing birthparents who not only gave them life but a loving family too. My heart aches a little more on each of my children's birthdays knowing that their birthparents are missing them just a little more that day than any normal day.


While I do enjoy writing poetry, I found this poem from a friend that I think conveys my feelings so much better than I ever could. However, I have tweaked it just a little to make it fit our situation. This poem goes out to my sweet birthday boy and his birthparents, Steve & Brenda.


I didn't even know you
the day we got the call.
We met five years ago,
inside the agency walls.

We did not know that day,
as we went our seperate ways
that our paths would cross again,
another time, another day.

Though time has passed
since we met again
you are no longer a stranger
but have become a dear friend.

And now today as we reflect
the day that we all met,
I can't help but contemplate
the gratitude -- the debt.

A loving Father let you leave
His loving, caring arms
to come down to this mortal world,
where I would be your mom.

But unlike others, your path here
would lead you to another.
One who would give birth to you;
she's your dear birthmother.

How I wish to tell her
the joy you bring each day.
How your family loves you
in all you do and say.

It doesn't matter how you came
though to some it may seem strange.
Both your mothers love you so
And that will never change!

1 comment:

Holly said...

LOVE that poem... :)