Sunday, June 1, 2008

Mrs. Farmer's Suprise Party 05-23-2008

I know it looks like I am back tracking and I might be, just a little. I have had so many things I have wanted to blog about and have just ran out of time.

Sam this year has had the priveledge of being in Mrs. Farmer's class. Mrs. Farmer was going to retire last year but decided to work one more year. We are so glad she decided to stay on another year. She was a great teacher for Sam. She helped Sam and us so much this year. We knew all year that this was going to be her last year. I have enjoyed being one of two room moms this year. After the holidays, I began thinking more about her retiring. In talking to Bryon, it sounded like the schools don't do a whole lot for retirement. The more I learned about her, the more I was amazed by this incridble woman. I couldn't stand the thought that this great teacher was retiring quietly. So the other room mom and myself put our heads together and started planning this surprise party. It all just snowballed from there. We made a bound book with family, teachers, and students writing tributes. I was amazed with as many people knew about the surprise party that we were actually able to pull it off. So the day of the party came. Her class had library. They went to library but ended up coming down to Bryon's room where we holding all the festivities. Once the kids were in the room, the principal brought down Mrs. Farmer. She was totally surprised! We played a game of Jeopardy of things the kids learned through the year. We also played a game about how well the kids knew Mrs. Farmer. It was so much fun. We had made a video made of pictures of her teaching through the years. She couldn't believe all the pictures we had. Her first comment to me was, "Where did you get all these pictures? I have some of the very same pictures." I told her they all were actually her pictures. Then she really was stumped. I had her daughter in Logan gather the pictures, scan them and e-mail them to me. Then after school was out we had an open house for faculty, family and friends. She was so surprised. The principal's daughter-in-law used to do some catering for the Joseph Smith Memorial Building in Salt Lake City. She made us two cakes to serve. They were beautiful.



Mrs. Farmer, thank you so much for the awesome teacher you were to not only my son but hundreds of other boys and girls. We are really going to miss you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, very interesting post, greetings from Greece!