Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Pass the Torch Tuesday


Today I want to highlight my three year old son on reaching new levels of personal development.

Kids grow so quickly, yet we tend to miss so many milestones because they are so gradual for us who live with them all the time. Sometimes I step back and realize just how big my kids are growing by remembering how small they used to be and the times when they couldn’t do what they now do with ease.

Most of you know Logan was a little older when he came to us, fifteen months to be exact. When he came to us, he wasn't even saying the simplest words, mama, dada, etc. His speech has come but it has come very slowly. We have him enrolled in private speech therapy twice a week. His speech therapist has diagnosed him with apraxia. This basically means that he couldn't remember how to form words. He would also say just the last syllable of a word. Even as recently as this summer, he was struggeling with simple two syllable words. When we would try to have a conversation with him he would answer yes to everything. It has just been recently that his speech has really sky rocketed. I am not sure I have noticed because I am with him all of the time but friends and his therapists have commented about how well he is doing. He now says two and even three syllable words (sometimes he need cued on how many syllables he is supposed to say) and is stringing words together and even says very simple sentences. He answers yes and no questions appropriately. Every once in a while, I catch him slipping back into his old ways and saying yes to everything. That is when I slip in a stupid question just to see if he is paying attention. I will say something like, "did we get hit by a train?" He will come back with this disgusted no, like you stupid mom! His latest thing lately is knock-knock jokes. He will say, "knock-knock." When I say, "whose there?" He will say, "Logan". I will say, "Logan, who?" He will then say, "Logan Darrell." He obviously hasn't gotten the jist of knock knock jokes but thinks he is funny nonetheless. It is something that I have taken for granted but have recently realized what a milestone this has been for him. It truly has been a struggle for him. I am so proud of him! He spends countless hours in therapy every week and he meets each therapy appointment so determined to work so hard.
So today, Logan, I want to let you know how much I love you and honored that I am to be your mommy. You have taught me so many lessons in the short time you have been in our family. I am so proud of all of your hard work in learning to talk. You really have come along way!

No comments: