Monday, April 21, 2008

Surprise Party 4-19-08

So this weekend we held a surprise party for my mother-in-law, Dorothy Kennedy. She turned sixty on April 4. Because of trying to get schedules to work, we ended up having to wait until this past weekend to celebrate. We actually threw her a little party on Conference weekend (her actual birth date) just to try to throw her off. I really think by her reaction, we succeeded in surprising her. Everyone but one son and one daughter-in-law were able to attend. Even her father who has struggled with health problems recently was able to make it to the event. My father-in-law talked her into going furniture shopping in order to get her out of the house. While she was gone, the rest of us were busy decorating the house, picking up food, and trying to keep 15 grandchildren from tearing up the house before they got back. My father-in-law was in charge of the food. We had plenty to eat. He had ordered Chinese food from her favorite restaurant, chicken and salads from Albertson's (in case someone didn't want Chinese), and two pizzas for the grandchildren. We had a great lunch together. Then we spent the afternoon just relaxing and visiting. We had put together a book for her of tribute letters from family and friends. What would a birthday be without cake and ice cream? My sister-in-law made one of Dorothy's favorite desserts, angel food cake. My father-in-law wanted to make sure that we put sixty candles on the cake. Yes, my mother-in-law was able to blow out all sixty candles in one breath. That night we finished out the days festivities with the adults attending an endowment session in the Rexburg temple.

1 comment:

Meichelle said...

How fun! My birthday is on the 4th too! I love throwing surprise parties. They are so fun. :D