Thursday, March 5, 2009

Grandpa Dean's 85th Birthday Party

Bryon's Grandpa Dean turns 85 this month. My mother-in-law and her siblings threw Grandpa Dean an 85th birthday celebration. It was held at a church in Idaho Falls (It had to be at a church to accomodate us all!). If I counted right we were only missing one or two grandchildren. It was amazing that we could all be together. Even Bryon's brother, Todd, flew in from Tennessee. We had a wonderful luncheon with roast, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, rolls, and salads. After lunch my mother-in-law handed out cute little coloring books she had made for all the great grandchildren about their Great Grandpa Dean. Then we watched a 30 minute video she made from pictures of Grandpa Dean. My mother-in-law really went to a lot of work for this birthday celebration. We sang Happy Birthday to grandpa and had chocolate birthday cake and ice cream.

I am so glad for the opportunity I have had to get to know Grandpa Dean over the past several years. He is a wonderful person. He is such a hard worker. He is always willing to help his children and grandchildren with various work projects. He is a true American hero. He served our country during World War II. During that time, he was taken as a prisoner of war. He has a scar on his back where he was struck with a bayonet. The great grandsons think that is very cool! I am so grateful for Grandpa & Grandma Perry's support through the years. No matter what the occasion, they always made an effort to attend special functions. I love going with my family to spend time with Grandpa at the farm. I have enjoyed the many times we have gone up in the willows for an old fashioned hot dog roast. I am so thankful that my children have had the chance to get to know their Great Grandpa Perry.

Grandpa, we love you!

No comments: