Thursday, August 7, 2008

Monday, July 28 -- More International Folk Dance Festival

Communication is a huge factor. I can never quite understand what the house guests are trying to tell us. Anyway, I got up and made them breakfast. Then they proceeded to tell us they had to go clean their bus again. I mean really how clean do you have to clean that thing. Anyway, they left and I told them to come back in time for lunch. For lunch I served grilled cheese sandwiches, grapes, chips, and cookies.

After lunch, Bryon took them to the public library for my friend to translate for us. They ended up telling her that they want their free time. At first I was a little bummed because this was not at all what I had been planning nor expecting. However, on the flip side of that, I really enjoyed not having to worry about entertaining them every minute of every day when they were here. So Bryon and I tried to work out that after breakfast they would go and have their "free-time". Then after lunch or sometime during the day we would try to squeeze in a family activity so the boys could spend time with them. I really think in the end it worked quite well.

After the public library, Bryon, Sam, Iscidro, and Filipe all went on a drive. Bryon took them out to see some potato fields as well as up on the dry farms. Then they drove out by the butte to try to see the elk. We think they guys really enjoyed that.

We then dropped them off at the school to get ready for the parade. We informed them that they didn't have to be "dancers" to be in the parade and that they should walk with their team. We weren't quite sure if what we were saying got through to them. However, we were pleasantly surprised when the team from Mexico came down the parade route, Philipe and Iscidro were walking with them. The kids loved seeing them in the parade and we all cheered so loud for them. It was also fun to see all the other teams, the pretty costumes, as well as the dances.

After the parade, we met up with them and told them we were treating them to dinner and gave them a few choices. They chose to go to dinner at Pizza Hut. Pizza Hut has some arcade games. Sam had two quarters in his pocket. So he played one game. Sam lost so Filipe gave him two more dollars to play arcade games. Sam was in heaven. We NEVER give him money to play video games.

During dinner, Filipe flips out this digital camera. I was a little surprised that he had one because up until now I had only seen him use his cell phone for a camera. Anyway, he tells me that he got it at the D.I. for $7. So here is where Bryon and I learn that they have been driving the bus all over town to get where they need to go. I figured that was my responsibility as a host. Once again, needing to give them free time and happy about not having to play taxi to them, I figure that is fine. Bryon and I looked at the camera but could never get it to go off of the first picture. We hand it back to him and tell him how great it is. I tell him he got a bad deal because $7 was the discount price because it didn't come with instructions. Bryon and I never did figure out the camera but Filipe thought it was the greatest find ever. All week long I kept saying to myself how well these guys would fit in with my dad. This D.I. adventure was just another affirmation that yes they would have had a great time with my dad!

After dinner, there was a big street dance. We told them we would be back to pick them up at the junior high at 10:00. I even said part of it in Spanish so I was sure they understood us. We took the kids home. I put Natalie and Logan to bed and Bryon took Sam and Conner back to the street festival for a bit. So about 9:45, Bryon goes back to the school to pick them up. I am downstairs downloading pictures on the computer. Shortly after 10:00 Filipe and Iscidro come in. I show them the pictures I am downloading from the parade. We laugh for a bit. They go in their room and I come upstairs. I figured when Bryon got home, the guys came downstairs and Bryon went to our room to go to bed or to watch a little television. So I soon find that Bryon isn't upstairs: he isn't in our bedroom, he isn't in Logan or Natalie's room. Then I find the van is gone. I think it is strange that he dropped the guys off and left again. Where did he go??? He didn't mention about going back to the store. The guys had been home about 20 minutes and it dawned on me that they walked home and Bryon is still at the school waiting for them. I call the cell phone only to find that Bryon left it here. About 10:40, Bryon calls me from the grocery store to see if the guys made it home because he is about the only one downtown now. Like I said, communication was a huge factor! We soon learned to take the cell phone with us everywhere.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.